Take gardening to the next level by utilizing form and function from a professional garden design perspective. In this course, students learn about planting design and how to best incorporate native trees, shrubs, perennials, groundcovers, and accents with non-native edible plants. Through lectures, field trips, and hands-on projects, students develop the skills needed to think and plan like a garden designer in creating a beautiful, functional, and sustainable garden space.
- Ecosystem services and ecology
- Native and fruiting trees specific to our bioregion
- Native shrubs, hedges, groundcovers and accents in garden design
- Using edible plants in garden design
After successful completion of this course, students will develop the skills needed to think and plan like a garden designer in creating a beautiful, functional, and sustainable garden space utilizing a mix of native and edible plants.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Green Building and Sustainable Design : Elective Courses