This program is perfect for...
...those seeking to develop effective strategies to establish and advance their employment goals. Whether entering the job market for the first time, changing career paths or advancing within their current career, anyone looking to polish their resume and increase their chances for success with applications and interviews will find value in the program.
How This Works
Employability Imperatives and Attributes (TBA)
- Personal Presentation
- Organization and Planning
- Initiative (Work Ethic, Perseverance, Motivation, Enthusiasm)
- Self-Management (Ability to Work/Adapt Under Pressure)
- Learning and Personal/Professional Development
- Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Establish and define the personal attributes that employers desire.
- Understand the three categories of employability skills: Transferable skills, Hard skills, and Soft skills.
- Demonstrate positive attitudes and behaviors.
- Establish career readiness imperatives.
Job Search Objectives, Setting Goals and Overall Job Search Preparation (TBA)
- Career and Job Objectives
- Job Search Preparation
- S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- Networking Skills: Best Practices and Elevator Pitch
- Personal Branding: Mission, Vision and Value Statements, Personal SWOT Analysis
- Job Searching During the Pandemic
- Solidify career direction and focus.
- Establish the best ways to search for employment.
- Understanding of the value of networking and how one starts the networking process.
- Create successful job search results during a pandemic.
- Design and differentiate one's personal brand.
Resume and Cover Letter Imperatives (February 20th)
- Resume for Different Jobs
- Using Keywords and Utilizing Formatting Specifics
- Expand and Focus on Educational Experiences (if minimal or no prior professional experience)
- Developing a Successful Web Presence
- Drafting a Cover Letter that Demonstrates Qualifications and Suitability by Highlighting Relevant Abilities, Personal Qualities with an Effectual Call to Action
- Filling Resume Gaps During a Pandemic
- Creation of professional documents that accentuate differentiation between candidates.
- Increase the rate of employer interest through effectively marketing oneself.
- Qualifying and quantifying the explicit value one brings to a potential employer.
- Expanding the job search through the web and through electronic platforms to increase your personal marketing effectiveness (E.g., LinkedIn, Indeed, Jobvite, etc.)
- Allow the candidate to individualize cover letters and resumes based on the specific job at hand
Interview Preparation (February 27th)
- Interview Basics (Interviews are a Two-Way Street)
- Common Mistakes to Avoid When Interviewing
- Crafting Impressive Questions to Ask While Interviewing and Questions You Should Never Ask
- Interview Questions and their Best Answers
- Researching the Company and the Interviewer(s)
- Dressing Appropriately, Being Punctual, Body-Language and Non-Verbal Communication
- Interviewing During a Pandemic
- Interview Performance Tips for Remote Interviews via Phone or Video Conferencing
- Follow Up Imperatives After the Interview
- Understand the purpose of professional interviews.
- Be able to identify the different types of interview scenarios and processes.
- Obtain important tips for Interview Preparation (during both normal and pandemic times.)
- Be able to articulate the importance of self-presentation.
- Gain confidence before heading into an interview by virtue of being prepared.
Mock Interviews (March 6th)
- Students Will Send the Interviewers a Cover Letter and Resume in Advance of this Session.
- Interview with Local / Regional Professionals (via Zoom and Phone)
- Recap and Commentary After Each Interview with Instructor, Interviewer, and Interviewee.
- Experience a real-life interview with a professional who has interviewed and hired prospective employees
- Mock interviews will help candidates reduce their stress and anxiety about interviewing while the candidate increases their confidence.
- Student will receive constructive feedback in a low-stress environment (cover letter, resume, and actual interview process)
- Mock interviews will help the student prepare for behavioral-based interview questions (such as "How do you handle a challenge?", "Tell me about how you work under pressure?", "How do you set goals?", etc.)
- Mock interviews will help the student improve communication skills and help the student develop interview strategies.