Today’s hospitals, clinics, and schools need qualified Child Life professionals to work with children having chronic or life threatening illnesses, as well as with their families. From performing assessments to applying coping strategies, Certified Child Life Specialists play an important role in providing care to children and their families facing difficult health conditions. This program is designed for any indvidual wishing to learn more about child life, including child Life assistants, interns, pediatric medical providers, classroom teachers working with children having chronic or life threatening illnesses, and individuals wishing to study specific subjects.
This Professional Certificate Program provides:
- An overview of child life theory and practice, including the therapeutic role of play, the nature of suffering, stages of grief, medical terminology, community outreach, and technology.
- Valuable information and practical skills that can be applied when working with children, adolescents and their families in healthcare settings and other challenging environments.
Program Course Schedule
Required at least 5 courses (20 units):
- ED X370.2- Child Life: Introduction to Theory and Practice (F/W/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.2 course is taught by a CCLS and meets the six (6) required topics of study set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals.
- ED X370.3- Therapeutic Role of Play in Pediatric Care (F/W/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.4- Death, Dying, & Grief in Pediatric Care (W/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.5- Medical Terminology (W/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.6- Development & Administration of Child Life Programs (F) - 4 units
- ED X370.10- Child Development: Birth to 18 (W/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.11- Pediatric Palliative Care & Hospice (F) - 4 units
- ED X370.12- Family Systems (F/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.13- Children with Special Needs (W) - 4 units
- ED X370.14- Introduction to Research (F/Sp) - 4 units
- ED X370.15- Child Life & Trauma (Sp) - 4 units
- ED X370.16- Child Life Globally (W) - 4 units
- ED X370.17- Challenges in Global Maternal and Child Health (Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.18- Child Life in Non-Traditional Settings: Beyond the Hospital (F/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.19- Early Child Development: Birth to 8 (W/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- ED X370.7- Child Life Internship (when requested) - 4 units
- Medical Ethics (Sp) - 4 units
Courses are offered across 4 academic quarters: fall, winter, spring, and summer. For more information visit Approved Academic Calendar.
Interested in becoming a K-12 teacher? Check out this course: ED X321K - Introduction to K-12 Teaching
The Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS) credential is the exclusive certification offered by the Association of Child Life Professionals. For more information, visit http://www.childlife.org/certification. UCSB Division of Professional and Continuing Education offers courses that may meet the 10 college-level course requirement. For more information visit Frequently Asked Questions - Child Life in our Help Center.
The program requirements are defined in the Program Course Schedule. If planning to apply for an internship, please read: Does the Child Life program offer support for securing an internship/practicum?