The Professional Preparation Program for Accounting is designed to help you meet the California requirements for CPA Licensure. You can fulfill 24 quarter units (or 16-semester units) toward CPA (Certified Public Accountant) Licensure in only 10 weeks June 26 - August 31, 2018.
*NOTE The Partnership & S Corp. Taxation class originally scheduled for Friday, Aug. 31st will now be taught on Wednesday, Aug. 29th. There will be no class on Friday, Aug. 31st
The program begins June 26, 2018, and ends on August 31, 2018. Course meetings are Tues., Mon., Wed., Thurs., 1 pm - 4:45 pm; Fri., 9 am - 12:45 pm and four selected Wednesdays 1 pm - 4:45 pm at UCSB Campus, North Hall, Room 1110
For CPA licensing, the 24 units can be split up into 12 units of Accounting, 6 units of Accounting or Ethics, and 6 units of Business-Related Subjects.
Courses are offered in an intense, high-quality sequence, designed to provide the detailed knowledge and skills desirable in a professional accountant. Courses cover professionally based material that expands upon the academic accounting curriculum offered by the UCSB Economics Department. Courses provide information that broadens student understanding and knowledge of modern business methods and environments. Taken together, the four courses in the sequence also cover topics included in the CPA examination. The program assumes prior knowledge of cost and financial accounting at a college level.
Enrollment in the program automatically enrolls you in the following four required courses:
- Advanced Auditing and Attestation (ECON X426A) This course provides in-depth coverage of the theory and practice of the attest role of the accountant. Both auditing and other areas of attesting are addressed. The class provides comprehensive coverage of the entire audit process including engagement planning, audit sampling, audit evidence and the role of technology in the audit. The class also provides coverage of the role and procedures of internal audit. The course is part of a group of four courses that together will provide broad exposure to professional aspects of accounting that are not covered in a traditional college accounting curriculum.
- Current Issues in Financial Reporting (ECON X426B) This course provides comprehensive study of a range of issues in financial reporting and accounting, including the theoretical and regulatory frameworks of financial statements, recognition, valuation, and measurement of assets, liabilities, equity and income, and the impact of special transactions and events on financial statements.
- The Regulatory Framework of Business (ECON X426C) This course provides comprehensive coverage of both the legal and tax aspects of the business. Tax issues covered will include the taxation of different business entities as well as individuals, and the impact these have on business decisions. The business law component of the class will include legal issues regarding contracts, professional responsibilities, government regulation, and property, among other items.
- Special Topics in Accounting (ECON X426D) This course provides extensive coverage of selected topics including economic theory, accounting for not-for-profit and government entities, cost and managerial accounting and special issues in corporate taxation.
Enrollment opens March 1, 2018.
Enrollments will be accepted by online by clicking on "add to cart" or by mail, phone, or in person at the Student Servies Office located at 2166 Kerr Hall, UCSB. At the time of enrollment, students will be added to current sections of ECON X426A, ECON X426B, ECON X426C & ECON X426D.
The program fee is $3600 if you enroll by May 18, 2018. A $200 dollar late fee will be charged for enrollments after the May 18 deadline. Enrollments will be taken until June 18, 2018, but are subject to space availability.
To request disability services please visit our help desk: How do I access disability services?
The materials you will be using for this year’s course include the Wiley 4-volume CPA Study Guides for 2018. Each volume corresponds to one of the four sections of the CPA Exam. In addition, the materials you purchase will include access to 4,200+ multiple choice and 200+ simulations.
Wiley has created a custom webpage for UCSB students which bundles the Study Guides and the Online Test Bank for $360, see link below. It will take approximately two weeks for the hard copy materials to arrive so please place your order at least two prior to the start of the course.
A detailed list of what is included in the material is as follows:
CPA Study Guide Plus Test Bank 2018
- Study Guides cover the complete AICPA content blueprint
- Study Guides organized in Bite-Sized Lesson format
- Study Guides map perfectly to the Wiley CPAexcel courseware
- Study Guides explain every topic tested with over 2,000 pages of Study Text
- Online Test Bank with 4,200+ multiple choice questions with detailed answers and 200+ task-based simulations
- Online Test Bank replicates the Prometric exam interface
- Online Test Bank with 1-year access (single part purchase) or 2 years access (complete 4-part purchase)
A refund will be given (less a $40 processing fee), if notice of withdrawal from the program is received in writing by June 18, 2018. No refunds will be given after that time. Exceptions to this policy are considered only under the most unusual circumstances. Refunds will not be processed without written notification of withdrawal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please date the request, indicate the course title and course number, and provide a daytime phone number.